[Oberon] Module aliases - what is the correct way to handle them

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Tue Jul 14 09:24:15 CEST 2020

Chris

Okay. We discuss three different topics here:
A) Do import aliases allow to import a module several times?
B) semantics of import aliases: IMPORT Out, Debug := Out; (* is the right occurence of Out influenced by the left Out *)
C) Is an import alias a good example to enable/disable debug output. Or even more general: how to handle debug output?

Chris’ answer is clearly related to C) And I agree, my proposal to use a stub module to disable debug output is indeed not a good example for import aliases.

My last mails to August were related to B). I think I made clear, that I’m strong supporter that the import order should not influence the semantic of IMPORT, as I see the LHS and the RHS residing in the different scopes.

Now back to topic A): the Oberon report states „If the form "M := M1" is used in the import list, an exported object x declared within M1 is referenced in the importing module as M.x
This definition does not specify, whether IMPORT M := M1, N := M1; is allowed.
Looking at other Oberon constructs like
  CONST
    S = “This is a funny string“;
    S1 = S;
    S2 = S;
or
  TYPE
    I1 = INTEGER;
    I2 = INTEGER;
I don‘t see a reason why import aliases should forbid multiple imports.
Where could this be useful?
Perhaps not the best examples either but what about this:
Let’s assume you want to write a program comparing two sorting algos. You intend to do this
  IMPORT Sort1 := Bubble; Sort2 := Quick;
You wrote Bubble already, didn‘t write module Quick yet, but want to test your graphical comparsion module already, there is nothing wrong with
    IMPORT Sort1 := Bubble; Sort2 := Bubble;

br, Jörg