[Oberon] Re (2): OS for Sparc 2.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Tue Jul 21 15:47:53 CEST 2020

Liam, Bernhard and all,

From:	Treutwein Bernhard <Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE>
Date:	Tue, 21 Jul 2020 09:55:46 +0000

From:	Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>
Date:	Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:17:02 +0200
> Like I said previously -- Solaris *7* is the last version to support sun4c.

Thanks for the comments.  Several OSs listed in Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARCstation_2#Operating_systems

A few years back I installed NetBSD by TFTP.  A similar procedure
might work with a netboot or CD or DVD image for Debian 4.0r9.  A DVD
image might accomplish everything needed in one go?  Any advantage in
pursuing an old Solaris or Open BSD?

Beyond that, which Oberon is the best choice?  Which Oberons will work
on Debian 4?  Will any Oberon work on NetBSD 9 or an old Solaris or
OpenBSD?  Any specific recommendations?

The battery in the clock/NVRAM module is dead.  So my first task is to
replace the battery with a socket and coin cell.  That can't happen
until I have access to the site at the campus; currently closed as
precaution with COVID-19.

One of the instructions for the coin cell modification includes
replacement of the clock crystal.  Not clear why that is done.  Do the
crystals drift with age?  How significant is that?

Thanks,                              ... Lyall E.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon