[Oberon] A technote for automatically running batch job on system startup

Charles Perkins chuck at kuracali.com
Sun Aug 2 18:41:51 CEST 2020

Jörg has it right... I am just asking the system to do automatically what a
user might otherwise do manually. This is only one step less simplistic
than artificially generating mouse movement and click messages and sending
those to the Frame of an opened text, which I started doing but then
decided was too much of a hack. TextFrames already knows how to call
things, I figured I could just ask it nicely to do that for me.

I'll save the task of inventing yet another scripting language for later
when (if) I think it might be an improvement to what we already have!

Jörg's suggestion would also work but I observed that many commands one
might like to put in a batch script presume that there is an open TextFrame
that they are within. It seemed simplest just to open such a frame and
convince it to do something that it already has the logic to do.

Jörg's suggestion has the virtue of not requiring a recompilation of the
Outer Core so long as the signature of System.Mod does not change.

However, with the addition of a CallMsg to TextFrames I can also imagine a
background task that runs a script periodically (e.g. cron,) etc. so the
addition of a CallMsg may be worth the bother of recompiling everything
that depends on TextFrames.Mod which is, well, pretty much everything.

Thanks for taking a look at the note,
Chuck