[Oberon] WiFi module survey

D EMARD vordah at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 10:27:51 CEST 2020

RMII is PHY level interface, so it doesn't "know" its MAC nor it adds
packet preamble or crc32 footer, which should
be implemented normally in the FPGA core logic or software.

ESP32 can be both client and AP so the same module serves both functions.
programmable in micropython so code is short and simple.
Maybe it could also run Oberon in far future... :)

ESP32-S2 is new series that has USB inside, so this would also be cool
solution.

Low-level electrical-only interface (resistors and diodes) for USB
D+ and D- directly to FPGA pins, minimalistic SIE interface in the FPGA core
and rest served by Oberon
would provide you both usb-device and usb-host function at speeds
up to 11Mbps (USB1.0 and USB1.1 devices) should also be good
enough , mouse kbd and other simple devices

Other USB chip interfaces like TUSB3340 could be used to reach USB2.0
speed but driving their modes and registers turns out to require longer and
more complex code than a simple SIE itself.