[Oberon] Oberon-3 (was: Ofront+)

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Wed Nov 4 12:30:44 CET 2020

Oleg

I read in your Oberon-3 description that you support ORD() on several types.
Oberon-07 defines ORD() on CHAR, BOOLEAN and SET.
NW's compiler supports ORD() on more types as well, but this is undocumented.
Generally, ORD is a little dangerous, as ORD returns implementation dependent values, and hence a code using ORD might not be portable.

NW's Oberon-07 compiler (ORP.StandFunc) supports ORD() on
BYTE, BOOLEAN, CHAR, INTEGER, REAL, SET, POINTER, NIL, PROCEDURE

Puristically, it is better to use SYSTEM.VAL(INTEGER, x) instead of ORD(x) as SYSTEM flags the implementation dependency.

It is again (like the semantics of suffix "H") one of the undocumented compiler features NW uses in his own code.
With a strict compiler implementing ORD() according to the Oberon-07 report, you cannot compile Texts.Mod and System.Mod in its current form.

br
Jörg

Am 04.11.20, 10:47 schrieb "Oberon im Auftrag von Oleg N. Cher" <oberon-bounces at lists.inf.ethz.ch im Auftrag von allot at bk.ru>:

    August Karlstrom пишет:

    >>    Oberon-3 (experimental dialect with constant arrays and "proper FOR")
    >
    > Oberon-3 seems to be so obscure not even Google can find it.

    I may have shown some impudence in taking this name. But I didn't plan
    to make my own Oberon dialect, I just needed some extensions for my
    activities. I hope this doesn't cause too much anger among those who
    respect Prof. Niklaus Wirth and his associates.

    In any case, this development is unlikely to spread too widely and will
    become very popular. So the name "Oberon-3" can be considered vacant for
    further achievements.

    Thanks for understanding.