[Oberon] Has V4 got <default font> like in S3's Oberon.Text ?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 16:40:13 CET 2020

On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 at 03:49, eas lab <lab.eas at gmail.com> wrote:

> >My work Dell Latitude dual-boots openSUSE Tumbleweed and openSUSE
> >...plus N other non M$spook intallations ...

No. I work for a Linux vendor. My laptop has no MS OS or other OS
installed other than 2 versions of Linux.

> With the latest elCheapo Chinese Laptops, the office-girls can't be
> expected to know how to bypass the UEFI <lock>.

What has that got to do with the price of fish?

> Are you trying to deny that M$hit is succeeding to maintain their
> monopolistic grip on the market ?!

They are absolutely failing, yes. ChromeBooks sold in the region of
25% of the entire desktop + laptop PC market last year. (Linux is far
*far* larger if you count servers, as well.) Meanwhile, Apple has a
larger share of the laptop market *by value*. It does not release
sales numbers, but given that Apple laptops cost more than most PC
ones, and 5-10x the average price of a ChromeBook, the numbers are
small but the money is big.

Windows is a shrinking platform, more rapidly than ever before, and
more every year.

UEFI is a horror. I loathe it. On my own machines, I disable it. On my
work desktop, that is not an option and I had to install Win10 just to
get the machine to boot from its own hard disk. 2 of us, its former
owner and myself, spend weeks trying to get a clean Linux-only install
to boot and failed. UEFI is a part of MS' usual "embrace & extend"
strategy to fight Linux.

However, I don't use Windows at work, at all, ever. It was basically
there to write an EFI system partition and bootloader, and since then,
for reflashing firmware.

You do have choices.

If you hate Windows, don't run Windows.

FWIW: I also have an X200 Thinkpad which is running native
A2/Bluebottle on the bare metal. It works very well. It was an
absolute pig to install -- in the end, I had to run the OS in a
VirtualBox VM under Devuan, attach the destination partition to the VM
as a local drive, and install into that.

However, once done, it works fine. I use the old PowerQuest Bootmagic
bootloader on that machine, and I told it partition 2 was called A2
and it just boots it, no questions asked.

Ethernet internet access works. Both cores and all 4GB of the RAM are
detected. USB works. I have no wifi, but I don't think A2 supports
wifi at all.

(FWIW Wifi works fine under Haiku on that machine.)

The X200 is one of the all-time best laptops ever made:

https://operand.ca/2018/03/20/why-i-am-choosing-the-x200-in-2018.html

https://drewdevault.com/2019/01/23/Why-I-use-old-hardware.html?

... but it's a Core 2 Duo, meaning that they sell for just £50 or so nowadays.

If you run Windows, it's because you choose to run Windows. If you
chose it, you don't get to complain. If you don't like it, choose
something different.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com