[Oberon] Re (2): Usable "Oberon" workstation;

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 15:15:59 CET 2020

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 00:05, <peter at easthope.ca> wrote:

> > > ... 200,913.0 kB.

Peter, you are trimming away too much in your quotes -- I cannot tell
what you are responding to. Also, every time you change the subject
line, it creates a new thread in Gmail and so I cannot readily follow
the conversation backwards to find out.

My comment below:

> From:   Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>
> Date:   Wed, 2 Dec 2020 23:05:07 +0100
> > MB not KB, I am guessing?

Referred to this comment of yours:

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 21:43, <peter at easthope.ca> wrote:

> The Thunderbird package in Linux is about 50 kB

I was asking if you used the wrong units, because Thunderbird
definitely will not fit into 50 kB!

I suspect that the 50 kB is closer to the size of the list of files
and dependencies in Thunderbird.

And yes, this is an obscene amount. This is relevant:

A Generation Lost in the Bazaar
Quality happens only when someone is responsible for it.
by Poul-Henning Kamp
https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2349257

My interest in Oberon (OS more than language, but the OS because of
the language) comes from a multi-year-long effort to draft and
describe a coherent, viable response to this situation, in enough
detail that someone more skilled than I could implement it.

> 200,913.0 MB = 200.913 GB.  The largest drive I have is approximately 150 GB.

Good heavens, really? I have a 170GB disk to my right on the desk at
this second, discarded as basically too small to be much use to me any
more. I have some other drives in the range of 50-100 GB in external
cases but they are all getting too old to use due to mechanical
failure now.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com