[Oberon] [EXT] Project Oberon 2013 on RISC-V

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Dec 20 18:38:36 CET 2020

Fantastic!

What kind of FPGA will be needed to run this version of Project Oberon?

Wojtek

---------------------
Hi,

I saw your recent discussion on running Project Oberon on RISC-V. I've been working on a RISC-V port for the last few months, which might be interesting to you. A port of Project Oberon to RISC-V (i.e. a RV32IM compiler and a port of the rest of the system), as well as an emulator that can run it, can be found in these repositories:

https://github.com/solbjorg/oberon-riscv
https://github.com/solbjorg/oberon-riscv-emu

If you just want to try it, there's a disk image included with the emulator.

To my knowledge, this RISC-V port is more complete than others that I have found: the compiler can compile the Oberon system as well as itself, and the system runs well in the emulator. It lacks support for REALs and interrupts at the moment, but most programs are able to run without them.

The port is built on top of several other Oberon-related projects, which I've credited in oberon-riscv's readme.

I'm planning to make it run on an FPGA in the future too, although that will have to come after the holidays.

Kind regards,
Rikke