[Oberon] all in one git tree

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 12:56:46 CET 2020

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 13:17, Jörg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch> wrote:

> > It manages source code. Nothing else.
> >
> How do you manage „distros“ then?

Do you mean Linux distributions?

This is an entirely separate and different conceptual level. You do
not manage a Linux distro _as a whole_ with Git, any more than you use
a road atlas to find your way from your bedroom to your lavatory. Or
to flip that around, you might think about carpeting part of your
home, but having linoleum in some rooms, but this decision has
absolutely nothing to do with road planning for a city.

> In my point, git seems useful in a distro but not across different distros, right?

Linux distributions are collections of programs: kernel, userland,
init system, core libraries, assorted binaries. Those programs are
probably all built using source code, whether they are compiled
binaries or scripts that run in interpreters.

Each of those programs is built by a person or team. Each person needs
to keep their source code somewhere. Each team needs a tool to
coordinate work between its members.

That is where Git comes in.

You are asking about how a tool for laying out the rooms of an
apartment is used to design an entire city.

The answer is: it is not. It's a different problem at a different
scale. There's really no connection.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com