[Oberon] all in one git tree

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 21:44:06 CET 2020

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 15:14, Michael Schierl <schierlm at gmx.de> wrote:

> For me it's more than 8 years, and while I do agree that Git includes
> too many ways to shoot yourself into the foot, it is very hard to make
> it destroy all your data.
[...]
> But probably that is just a matter of taste. But in case you never used
> "git reflog", think about it when you next time think that you lost data...

I am sure you're right.

Personally, after consulting with one of my team's 2 Git experts when
I got in a mess, I saw them work very hard for nearly an hour, trying
lots of things, to sort stuff out.

Me, as per the XKCD comic, if I am doing anything complicated, I make
sure I have a local copy elsewhere, delete my local repo, pull a fresh
copy from Github, and put the change back. It's far quicker, the work
of 2 minutes, and at every point in the operation I know where I am
and where I stand. I don't need to phone anyone, message anyone,
disclose credentials, anything.

All I do is `git clone`, `git checkout`, `git pull`, `git add`, `git
commit` and `git push`. I avoid anything more complicated. My
colleagues want me to do cherry-picking and all sorts of things but I
try hard to avoid them, because of the risk.

Any tool which makes you afraid to use it because of the risk of an
error is a bad tool, IMHO.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com