[Oberon] Project Oberon 2013 on RISC-V

Michael Engel engel at multicores.org
Mon Dec 28 19:29:31 CET 2020

Hi,

> On 28 Dec 2020, at 19:02, Andreas Pirklbauer <andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>     > A port of Project Oberon to RISC-V (i.e. a RV32IM compiler and
>     > a port of the rest of the system), as well as an emulator that
>     > can run it, can be found in these repositories:
>     >
>     > https://github.com/solbjorg/oberon-riscv-emu
>     >

> Tried it out. Works. But why is is so much slower than the RISC5 version
> of the emulator? It takes very long time to start and the responsiveness
> of the UI just isn’t there.

I just tested both on MacOS 10.14 on a 12" Macbook. Rikke's RISC-V emulator seems
to be a bit slower (compared running the hilbert curve program on both, but I did not
run real benchmarks). However, it doesn't seem to be extremely luggish on my machine.

Are you testing the emulator on MacOS Big Sur? Apple has added a "feature" that verifies
programs at start by sending a hash value to an Apple service that helps the system
to check for known malware hashes. This also applies to self-compiled code. This can
lead to a significant slowdown for the first start (and after every recompile), see also
https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/

> Also, commands cannot be executed by pushing
> the alt button, one also has to click the mouse/trackpad (this is for macOS).

Rikke has modified the emulator quite a bit and it seems the Alt functionalily got lost
along the way. The attached diff should restore the Alt key function.

-- Michael