[Oberon] [EXT] Porting S3 / V4 Oberon (was: File transfer)

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Jan 3 04:22:24 CET 2021

Andreas:

>You
>might think that it’s straightforward, but it wasn’t, at least not in
>a single-pass compiler (need for fixups for method tables, etc).

I never thought or said it was straightforward. I believe it is not.

I do appreciate that you went quite a few steps in this direction. Without your effort porting the legacy code would be practically impossible. After you made the changes it is now somewhat possible. I wonder what else can be brought back at a moderate effort which you would be willing to spend. I am not expecting miracles. Not at all.

You know that Oberon System compatibility was once a fact. These times are gone. The only time when the V4 systems were abundant and compatible was when the grad students took care of such systems. It was great. I remember running my B2 on Linux, Windows, PowerOberon, and HP Unix. Not a single line of code was changed. It worked like a miracle.

(Un)fortunately, grad students graduated and dispersed, the hardware platforms disappeared, and the portability has dissolved. In principle the RISC5 Oberon could bring it back, but like you said, it was never a goal.

W.