[Oberon] Oberon V4 on the Raspberry Pi?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 16:16:20 CET 2021

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 16:04, Bernhard Treutwein <oberon at wildwein.de> wrote:

> afaik, V4 never ran on other bare metal than Ceres, all other V4 versions
> used the "OS on top of another OS" concept, which is now better called
> emulation of an OS.

Just for clarity:
By "Oberon v4" we are talking about A2 (formerly AOS) with Bluebottle?

As shown in the 4th screenshot here:
http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2009/04/22/oberon/

Is that right?

If so, yes, it definitely runs on bare metal on x86.

I have it installed and running natively from a primary disk partition
on a Lenovo Thinkpad X200. It recognizes both CPU cores and most of
the machine's 4GB of RAM, and supports TCP/IP networking over the
built-in Ethernet. I think it also supported USB peripherals in my
testing -- a mouse and a USB key were recognised and handled, if I
recall correctly. It can see and mount the DOS partition on the
machine (which contains IBM PC-DOS 7.1, the FAT32-capable version).

It could not read the Haiku partition on the machine, but few other
OSes can read BeFS.

Installation was tricky, as although I could boot an ISO image under
VirtualBox or VMware Player no problem, I could not write it to USB.

So, I created a VirtualBox VM, attached the raw hard disk partition to
it as a device local to the VM, booted the VM off ISO, formatted the
partition and and installed to it.

I use PowerQuest BootMagic as the boot manager on that machine, and I
just addeded primary partition № 2 to the boot menu. This chain-loaded
the A2 boot loader, and up it came, no problem.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com