[Oberon] Starting V4.

Pablo Cayuela pablo.cayuela at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:38:53 CET 2021

Hellwig,

I'm using Oberon V4 in Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS in an Oracle VM under Windows 10
Home 64 bits.
I've installed according to a recent email from Robert Lichtenberger:

I assume you are following the installation instructions at:
http://olymp.idle.at/tanis/INSTALL.

I admit I no longer remember writing them but I think you should be able
to start oberon without any font installation. The section you quoted is
clearly wrong.

On my machine (which has Fedora-31) I am still able to run oberon by:
* Downloading http://olymp.idle.at/tanis/oberon-1.7.02.tar.gz
* cd /usr/local
* tar zxvf ~rli/Downloads/oberon-1.7.02.tar.gz
* mv oberon-1.7.02/ oberon
* mkdir $HOME/oberon
* cd $HOME/oberon
* /usr/local/oberon/sob

Hope that helps,
Robert Lichtenberger

It gives me some error messages about the fonts, but it is working despite
that. I've used some instructions with sudo:
Downloading http://olymp.idle.at/tanis/oberon-1.7.02.tar.gz
* cd /usr/local
* tar zxvf ~/Downloads/oberon-1.7.02.tar.gz
* sudo mv oberon-1.7.02/ oberon
* sudo mkdir $HOME/oberon
* cd $HOME/oberon
* sudo /usr/local/oberon/sob

A last answer by Robert about the errors:

but I get errors in terminal console:
~/oberon$ sudo /usr/local/oberon/sob
find: warning: you have specified the -maxdepth option after a non-option
argument -type,
but options are not positional (-maxdepth affects tests specified before it
as well as those specified after it).
Please specify options before other arguments.

find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a non-option
argument -type,
but options are not positional (-mindepth affects tests specified before it
as well as those specified after it).
Please specify options before other arguments.

You can safely ignore these errors.

rm: cannot remove 'System': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'Text': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'xfonts': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'Source': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'Packages': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'root': No such file or directory

These won't happen again, if you start from the same directory again.

The script recreates the symbolic links each time you invoke it.

Is it ok anyway?

Yes it is.

Thank you again for your invaluable assistance.

You're welcome.

Robert Lichtenberger
Best regards,

Prof Pablo Cayuela