[Oberon] *****SPAM***** Re: Oberon genealogy.

strohm at airmail.net strohm at airmail.net
Mon Jan 18 06:01:15 CET 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 01:31:00 +0100, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 23:32, Chris Burrows wrote:
>>
>> My understanding is that Oberon-07 and Oberon-2 are both separate forks from
>> Oberon and that Oberon-07 was not influenced by Oberon-2.

That is correct.

Oberon-2 added type-bound procedures ("methods" in Simula- and C++-speak) to Oberon. Those did not make it into Oberon-07.

As I recall, Oberon-07 unified REAL and LONGREAL, dropped LOOP ... IF <cond> THEN EXIT; ... END and put RETURN <expr> on the function header instead of making it a statement.  That last enforces "single entry single exit" discipline and allows a function with an apparently-null body, similar to the old FORTRAN statemnt function.

--John R. Strohm