[Oberon] Why is RSC string data word-aligned?

Joerg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Sun Jan 31 01:50:14 CET 2021

Colby

Strings in memory are word-aligned as string assignments can be done 4 times faster than byte-access. As drawback of this decision, we might have some superfluous consecutive 0X.

Now, do I understand you correctly that while writing the rsc file you want to compress consecutive 0X to only one 0X? Do you really want to compress the string area while writing to (huge) disk, where normally space is no issue?

To optimize the File IO you would turn this
  Files.WriteInt(R, strx);
  FOR i:= 0 TO strx-1 DO
    Files.Write(str[i])
  END;

into something like this
  eos := FALSE;
  FOR i := 0 TO strx-1 DO
    IF str[i] = 0X THEN eos := TRUE
    ELSE
      IF eos THEN Files.Write(R, 0X) END;
      Files.Write(R, str[i]); eos := FALSE
    END
  END;
  Files.Write(R, 0X);

BTW: There is a reason why strings are written byte-wise although they are word-aligned. It has to do with endianness. The endianess is not defined in the Oberon system, as it doesn‘t matter as long as you don‘t leave the system, eg by writing to files.
If the compiler would write strings as words (it could do that as strings are word-aligned) the writing and reading system must have the same endianess. As strings are written byte by byte, the possibly different endianesses of the reading and writing systems do not matter.

br
Jörg