[Oberon] Why is RSC string data word-aligned?

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Jan 31 02:19:46 CET 2021

Sure - I got that. However, the whole object file is read in when the module is loaded. Hence, the module loader is only slowed down by 1% because of those extra nulls. Even on my 25 MHz RISC5 system hardware, module loading appears to be instantaneous so any gain would not be noticeable. Remember also that in Project Oberon, a module only ever has to be loaded once between reboots unless you have manually unloaded it.

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
https://www.astrobe.com/RISC5