[Oberon] List of extensions for Project Oberon compiler

August Karlstrom fusionfile at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 23:30:50 CET 2021

On 2021-01-31 22:40, Chris Burrows wrote:
> Why do you ask the question?

I think it would be interesting to go through each extension and analyze
why it's there. Is it because the official language is lacking somehow,
is it due to backwards compatibility with previously written programs,
or is it something else?

> One of things on my possible 'list of things to
> do' is to produce a version of Project Oberon that is 100% compliant with
> the Language Report.

Good point! It seems natural to practice what you preach and keep the
reference implementation in sync with the language report.

> BTW I didn't think that dynamic arrays were implemented in the official
> Project Oberon compiler. Maybe we are thinking of something different. Can
> you provide a simple test program that compiles on Project Oberon shows what
> you are referring to?

I was under the impression that

	PROCEDURE P;
		VAR a: ARRAY OF INTEGER;
	BEGIN
		NEW(a, 100)
	END P

is valid but it doesn't compile so I'm obviously wrong.

-- August