[Oberon] Re (2): Indentation in V2 sources.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Mon Feb 15 04:14:51 CET 2021

From:	"Chris Burrows" <chris at cfbsoftware.com>
Date:	Mon, 15 Feb 2021 11:44:31 +1030
> I like to use monospaced fonts when writing code so that every column
> of characters is aligned.
>
> If I was putting code samples in Wikibooks I would follow guidelines like
> those specified, for example, in the REALbasic/Style Guide:
>
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/REALbasic/Style_Guide

The OCC module is from the original _Project_Oberon_ book. I want to
preserve the appearance in the PDF reasonably closely.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/V2

I'd be happy to use monospace for code I've written.

> The indentation probably appears more narrow because different fonts are
> used.
>
> This is always very subjective. What I prefer could easily irritate somebody
> else. I like to use monospaced fonts when writing code so that every column
> of characters is aligned.
>
> I did try the <code> tag in the Sandbox with an Oberon example and that
> inserted additional blank lines. Surrounding code with the <pre> </pre> tags
> seemed to work well.

The whole source is enclosed with these tags.
<pre><span
style="font-family: Oberon, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.80rem;
font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; color: #000000;
position: relative; top: 0%"> ... </span></pre>

The <pre> tag comes from the blank beginning each line in the markup.

Now I remember choosing the font-family for similarity to the font in
ETH Oberon.  The font in the sources in _Project_Oberon_ is serif.  In
Linux Firefox, DejaVu serif should work.  A serif variable pitch font
available in all familiar browsers would be ideal but I have no idea of
serif fonts in browsers in MacOS and MS Windows.  Suggestions?

Thanks,                       ... P. L.

--
cell: +1 236 464 1479            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca
VoIP: +1 604 670 0140