[Oberon] Re (2): Re (2): Indentation in V2 sources.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Mon Feb 15 18:16:14 CET 2021

From:	Joerg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Mon, 15 Feb 2021 09:18:20 +0100
> If you like monospaced fonts you should adapt the font-family.

OK, thanks.  Currently the MediaWiki module handles two cases.

(1) MediaWiki.Markup reads an Oberon Text and produces markup which
produces a page which imitates the original Text.  ETH Oberon has the
Courier font.  Markup for characters in the Courier font will be
tagged <span style="font-family: Courier, monospace; ...">. To my
knowledge, a contemporary browser is likely to recognize "Courier"; if
Courier is not available another monospace is likely to be substituted.
The output syntax is in the MediaWiki module at line 37.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/A2/Oberon.MediaWiki.Mod

The conversion of the Text typeface attribute to the HTML tag begins at
line 266. "IF extantAttr.typeface # globalAttr.typeface ..." This
conversion process is satisfactory.

(2) To produce markup for a text from a PDF, the original Oberon Text
is not directly available. Probably typeface can be extracted from PDF;
I don't know how. The PDF reader displays the document but doesn't
give me attributes.

Visually I can recognize serif vs. sans serif and fixed pitch vs.
variable pitch.  Then I can impose a typeface.  My MediaWiki module
has a simple means to do that; not yet in the book.

My immediate question: what font-family specification for serif,
variable pitch will be recognized by most browsers?  An answer will
allow me to complete case (2).

Thx,                                  ... P. L.

--
cell: +1 236 464 1479            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca
VoIP: +1 604 670 0140