[Oberon] Installable file systems; was Re (n): Streams.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Fri Apr 23 23:53:44 CEST 2021

From:	Joerg <joerg.straube at ia....ch>
Date:	Fri, 23 Apr 2021 05:26:32 +0200
> The main drawback of the ProjectOberon system as of today is that Files.Mod i=
> s directly bound to the implementation of the Oberon file system and is not o=
> nly a dispatcher with PROCEDURE variables.
> ... easily=E2=80=9C bind another file system t=
> o the Files interface and all modules using Files can benefit of this new im=
> plementation, even the Oberon system itself.

Hello Joerg,
My knowledge is superficial but your explanation reminds of Section
6.1.1, page 100, in the Ph.D. thesis of Pieter Muller.
http://e-collection.ethbib.ethz.ch/ecol-pool/diss/fulltext/eth14755.pdf

"In Native Oberon, there was a need to allow many kinds of file
system for interoperability with other operating systems installed on the
same machine, to access several kinds of removable media with their own
file system formats, and to access file systems located on remote servers.
The installable file system framework developed for Native Oberon ..."

Put an updated ETH Oberon on a Skulski machine?

Regards,                         ... P. L.

--
VoIP: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca