[Oberon] Project Oberon on current 'off-the-shelf' hardware

Pablo Cayuela pablo.cayuela at gmail.com
Sun May 30 20:18:00 CEST 2021

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 7:08 PM Paul Reed <paulreed at paddedcell.com> wrote:
> Is the video display generated and displaying random SRAM contents? Are
> all the LEDs dim, off, or a different pattern? Is the pattern changed by
> using the slide switch 0 to select alternate boot?
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

I finally found the old board. Connected the daughter board with the SD and
PS2 for the mouse.
The Video display is a random gray distribution; it could be inverted with
switch 7 on the board.
The LEDs flash all on at configuring the FPGA, then only LED 7 keeps on:
80H: Just started booting, will initialize SPI.
There is no pattern difference at startup with slide switch 0 off or on.

But with switch 0 off, after startup, all LEDs went off when pushing button
3, then LED 7 and 2 are on:
84H: core loaded, will hand over to loaded core.
And with switch 0 on, after startup, all LEDs went off when pushing button
3, then LED 7 and 0 are on:
81H: SPI initialized, will load core from serial.
The video pattern is the same in both cases, there is no glitching or
change on screen.

I saw a correct booting process on the Nexys4 Rev B with Oberon WorkStation
version recently released by Chris Burrows, at least the visible quick
phases, and is as follows on the LEDs:
80H: Just started booting, will initialize SPI
82H: SPIinitialized, will load core from disk
84H: core loaded, will hand over to loaded core
23H: Mark phase finished: briefly
20H: GC finished: keeps on

The LEDs interpretation I take it from:
http://lists.inf.ethz.ch/pipermail/oberon/2020/015061.html