[Oberon] Question about SYSTEM.BIT() in Oberon-7

R. S. Doiel rsdoiel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 23:55:14 CEST 2021

Hello everyone,

This is probably a bit of a novice question and I apologize but
it has me puzzled.  In the Oberon-7 language report's
SYSTEM.BIT() is described as using "n" to address a specific bit.
On first reading I assumed "n" zero would be the LSB and "n"
thirty one would be MSB where the compiler deals with the local
implementation of bit ordering. Is that the correct reading
of the report?

I was planning on implementing a procedure like Native Oberon's
Reals.IntL() but then started having doubts about my reading of the
Oberon-7 report. Have I made too simple a set of assumptions about
how I should expect SYSTEM.BIT() to work under Oberon-7
implementations?

All the best,

Robert Doiel