[Oberon] Mailing List Etiquette (was: Question about Oakwood guidelines and design choices)

Chris Burrows cfbsoftware at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 23:22:54 CEST 2021

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 2:51 AM Skulski, Wojciech
<skulski at pas.rochester.edu> wrote:

> PS: Which way of commenting is now official on the list? There were some strong opinions whether top or bottom. I do not remember the verdict.

While not specific to this mailing list RFC1855 "Netiquette
Guidelines" addresses this issue in the following way in Section 3.1.1
General Guidelines for mailing lists and NetNews

"If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
      summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
      enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
      sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
      Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
      postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
      response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
      helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!"

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1855

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software