[Oberon] Oberon Text and new systems for science

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Thu Jun 10 01:37:00 CEST 2021

Peter:

>Two, a simple workstation for engineering and science.  That's what I
understand interests Wojciech.  V4 and ETH Oberon have been used in
that capacity for over two decades already.  Update of V4 and ETH
Oberon to run on a FPGA machine is conceivable.

Part 2 of my comment. The prototype baseboard is slowly cooking somewhere in China: Spartan-6 LX25, 4MB of ZBT RAM, 16 MB of HyperRAM, and an expansion connector for the ADCs. I am driven by the displays shown in the attached plots. This is my V4 software from 25 years ago. I made these plots on Windows XP running Linz V4. It would be awesome if I can do it on the FPGA. I need V4 not so much for the compute engine, but for the pull down menus which make a huge difference. Those who mostly work with texts, like developing the system itself, may not be fully aware of the difference which these menus bring to a highly nontrivial application shown in the plots. The screens titled Screen_9.png and Screen_10.png are showing the menus. The menus are enormously helpful. I hope the list server will let the plots through.

W.