[Oberon] Writing BootManager using dd.

Treutwein Bernhard Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Tue Jul 6 13:08:48 CEST 2021

Hi Peter,

be careful, in principle you are correct, but afaik this overwrites also the partition
table (which is located in the last ? bytes of the boot sector, but I am not really
sure about the number of bytes in the moment).

As far as I found in the hurry, you need an bs=446 in addition to your parameters,
see https://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/linux/disk/partition_types-2.html#ss2.5

Regards
--
  Bernhard

-----Original Message-----
From: peter at easthope.ca <peter at easthope.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 1:25 AM
To: oberon at lists.inf.ethz.ch
Subject: [Oberon] Writing BootManager using dd.

Hi,

In ETH Oberon, BootManager can be written to a disk with these commands.
  Partitions.WriteMBR dev#0 BootManagerMBR.Bin ~
  Partitions.FileToPartition dev#0 BootManagerTail.Bin 1 12 ~

I think of this as equivalent in Linux.
  dd  if=~/BootManagerMBR.Bin   of=/dev/sdx  count=1
  dd  if=~/BootManagerTail.Bin  of=/dev/sdx  seek=1  count=12

Corrections?  Tips?

Thx,                        ... P.L.

--
48.7693 N, 123.3053 W