[Oberon] Re (2): Writing BootManager using dd.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Tue Jul 6 18:23:08 CEST 2021

From:	Treutwein Bernhard <Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE>
Date:	Tue, 6 Jul 2021 11:08:48 +0000
> be careful, in principle you are correct, but afaik this overwrites
> also the partition table (which is located in the last ? bytes of the
> boot sector, but I am not really sure about the number of bytes in the
> moment).
>
> As far as I found in the hurry, you need an bs=446 in addition to your
> parameters, see
> https://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/linux/disk/partition_types-2.html#ss2.5

Thanks Bernhard.  I'd forgotten that.  In fact the MBR is explained in
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/ETH_Oberon/bootmbr
salvaged to the wikibook a year or two back.  The author could have
been Andr Fischer.  I don't know.

I've added the instructions for dd in section 4.2 of
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/BootManager .

With bs=446 for the MBR, the commands succeed.  Good opportunity to
review and update the documentation.

Thx,                ... P.L.

--
48.7693 N, 123.3053 W