[Oberon] Re (2): Copy or reinstall A2?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 13:59:46 CEST 2021

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 at 19:08, Jörg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch> wrote:

> Liam
>
> I fully agree that the word "ISO image" may be confusing.

:-)

> Generally an "image" is more or less a 1:1 copy of the source medium.
> Originally, the source medium was a CD/DVD. Hence the filesystem was fixed to ISO9600.

Well, broadly, yes.  In the early days of CDs, when there was
something that the OS needed that ISO 9660 didn't support, the vendor
told you. DEC took pains to say that VMS CDs contained FILES-11 (or
whatever, it's a long time ago!) filesystems, _not_ ISO 9660. It was
well-known among Apple users of Classic MacOS.

> Later the source medium could also be hard disk, and it was "just" a 1:1 copy of a HD.

This one seems strange to me & I've not seen many of those.

> The filesystem is "in most cases" NOT ISO9660 but ext1, NTFS, HFS+, OberonFS or so...

Most? Really? You think?

I know it happens but my _impression_ is that it's fairly rare.

> An important role in an "ISO image" is the MBR, the first sector of the image:
> - the MBR MAY contain an optional bootloader. The bootloader decides whether the image is bootable or not.
> - the MBR holds the partition table. The partition table store info on the filesystems in use per partition.

Ahh, I see. Good point and good info -- thank you.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com