[Oberon] A new dialect? Oberon+ (OBX)

Chris Burrows cfbsoftware at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 15:23:13 CEST 2021

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 10:07 PM Diego Sardina <dsar at eml.cc> wrote:

> This is not a dialect but a whole new language.
>
> The author should use a new name, not Oberon.

I agree. In the documentation it is also referred to as Obex. That
might be a suitable alternative name?

> He implemented all those features that programmers love, ignoring all implications they may cause.
> Just for example: Why enumeration? Did they find a solution for the problems they may cause in separate compilation?

For those not aware of these issues they are discussed in the
document:'Programming Without Enumerations in Oberon' by C. Lins,
published in SIGPLAN NOTICES V25, #7, July 1990:

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.97.7983&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software