[Oberon] [EXT] Re: A new dialect? Oberon+ (OBX)

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Jul 26 04:23:47 CEST 2021

Chris:

  my example was exactly as you described. The intent was to map all upper case constants meaning FPGA register addresses. It is a long standing practice.

I am reluctant to modify the compiler. Once forked, always forked. There are your extensions, Michael's UTF extensions, Andreas' compiler extensions... Not sure about Joerg. He may have introduced some of his own. I only mentioned major players. I do not even mention all these dialects that others are trying to push. Trying to maintain my own compiler would create even more chaos.

My intent is to stay with Andreas. His work is solid, well thought through, and it makes perfect sense. I also heard his major developments make it back to the Center. Both the common sense and logistics suggest to stay with his versions. If he admits the underscore then I will be very happy. Perhaps in those modules which import SYSTEM? These are the likely FPGA interfaces where the FPGA_TRIGGER_ADDRESS would make perfect sense.

W.