[Oberon] [EXT] My "Building Your Own Tools" Papers

R. S. Doiel rsdoiel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 17:37:38 CEST 2021

Good morning everyone,

Sorry if this is a bit of tangent but there is an easier path to sharing
access short of rewriting for historic material that is in bound form
(like our conference proceedings). The Open Library accepts donations of
physical books which they can and make available online via  "Controlled
Digital Lending" or "CDL" in library jargon.  The CDL idea is that
mirroring how physical books are handled in the digital space allows the
lending of the book in a controlled fashion.  It's not open access but
is do provide a form of public access. If someone has extra copies of
the the conference proceedings they could donate them to the Open
Library and then they'd be available for us to "check out" and read.
I've read a fair bit of historical material this way.

I've looked at the bound proceedings for 2000 and 2003 online and they
are still rather pricey for used books (over $100 US). I'll will keep an
eye on them, often things computer related are inflated just before
schools start in the Northern Hemisphere.  If they get down to a
reasonable price I'll probably try to pick them up and make a donation
myself. The Open Library will accept physical copies of books they
already have as this allows them to "loan" books in parallel (i.e. if
they have three copies then three people can have then checkout at the
same time).

Paul mentions that the proceedings are good not just for is articles but
generally. I have read PDFs via my institution's library and I found
them interesting and helpful as an Oberon novice. So if you have the
opportunity I think they are worth a read.

All the best,

Robert