[Oberon] Re (2): Updating Project Oberon PDF Docs (was: ALU 2015 and 2018)

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Wed May 18 20:48:52 CEST 2022

From:	Chris Burrows <cfbsoftware at gmail.com>
Date:	Wed, 18 May 2022 09:33:50 +0930
> We use Acrobat to save PDF files as Microsoft Word documents. We are
> then able to edit the Word documents to our heart's content.

pdftohtml now has parameter -dataurls allowing images to be
incorporated in the HTML file.  For example,
pdftohtml -dataurls -c -s MyPhDthesis.pdf
produces MyPhDthesis.html mimicking the appearance of the original PDF
reasonably well.

The HTML can be edited directly.  With enough screen area, the HTML
can be edited in a viewer or window while rendered in an adjacent
browser.  I've used LinuxA2 > Oberon ET to edit while rendering with
Desktops.Opendoc or dillo.

This technique imposes no reliance upon proprietary software and is
reasonably effective.

In the trial here, the PDF and HTML are approximately the same size.
A significant quantity of markup might be eliminated without loss of
content.

From:	skulski at pas.rochester.edu, Wed, May 18, 2022 at 8:08 AM
> Quite unfortunately, PO.Computer and other docs are not live.

I'm increasingly convinced that software with long term value should
be documented in a wiki.  When the wikibook was started there was
concern for vandalism and well meaning but misguided editing.  In fact
vandalism is minimal and easily combated.  Misguided editing is a
smaller concern than apathy. Sometimes I wish a knowledgable person
would contribute to the wikibook.

So for Wojtek's documentation I'd say the ideal is a wiki.  The second
choice is HTML.

Regards,                     ... P.L.

--
mobile: +1 778 951 5147