[Oberon] Duplicate headers in SMTP. Was RFC 5322 and ETH Oberon SMTP.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Fri Jul 22 17:52:24 CEST 2022

>From schierlm at gmx.de  Fri Jul 15 19:22:23 2022
> As J?rg already suggested, look at the headers/content of the emails, ...

Here is another "Undelivered" reply from a gmail address.

> This is the mail system at host gateway20.websitewelcome.com. > ...
> <...... at gmail.com>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[142.250.102.27] said:
>     550-5.7.1 [192.185.70.14] Our system has detected that this message is not
>     RFC 550-5.7.1 5322 compliant: duplicate headers. To reduce the amount of
>     spam sent 550-5.7.1 to Gmail, this message has been blocked. Please review
>     550 5.7.1  RFC 5322 specifications for more information.
>     l21-20020a170906939500b0072b460163d9si5427332ejx.196 - gsmtp (in reply to
>     end of DATA command)

Note "5322 compliant: duplicate headers." These header fields were
added by smarthost ccx.websitewelcome.com.

RFC 5322 doesn't mention the X-AntiAbuse header.  It provides a syntax
for folding a long header body.  One folded header is an alternative
to the four X-AntiAbuse headers.

The table in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5322#section-3.6 Field Definitions
allows unlimited repetition of some fields.  With no mention of the
X-AntiAbuse field in the RFC, repetition should be OK.  Probably the
MUA (the Oberon system here) can't prevent ccx.websitewelcome.com from
adding the multiple headers.

Refusal to accept a message because it contains a header meant to
combat spam is perverse but beyond my influence.

Failure of the message to mun.ca is entirely distinct. Blocking all
messages from a prominent server because of "reputation" doesn't
strike me as good practise but switching to another server may be the
only feasible solution.

Regards,                           ... P.L.