[Oberon] A Gemini post that is quite damning (sadly)

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Sep 14 23:46:50 CEST 2022

Liam:

  it looks like a very nice though incomplete web site. As far as I know, OberonStation was discontinued long time ago. It is a pity that both Pepino and OberonStation are no longer available.

Concerning the damning post, it seems to be loaded with emotions rooted in two criticism against the Oberon System. (1) Hard to use. (2) Lack of comfortable tools.

IMHO both criticisms can be partly remedied.

(1) I think that the Oberon System mouse handling is hard to justify at this point in history. IMHO the TextFrmes can be augmented to implement common shortcuts like CTRL-C / CTRL-V and a few such. This would ease the transition from a Windows editor to Oberon editor.

(2) Many utilities do exist under Linz V4 and perhaps System 3, though they are implemented on top of the underlying "big" OS. Porting them probably will not be easy. But a few goodies can perhaps be ported, providing a little bit of comfort here and there.

A big problem is that at this point it is hard to manufacture any boards. I have two pre-prototypes of RiskOne on my desk. Both work very well, but I cannot make any more pieces due to the part crisis.

On the other hand, emulators are not affected by the part crisis and can be used at no cost. So there is some hope.

For reference:
Damning discussion: gemini://gemini.ctrl-c.club/~stack/gemlog/2022-08-29.oberon.gmi

OberonStation:
http://oberonstation.x10.mx/

Thanks,
Wojtek