[Oberon] Port Number for server

Claudio Nieder private at claudio.ch
Thu Dec 15 23:24:43 CET 2022

Hi,

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeral_port the range of
private ports seems to be OS dependent, though IANA suggests the one you
mentioned. Some OS give the administrator the possibility to modify that
range.

For system and user ports, you can find the ones registered by IANA on
https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml

These are a few large ranges that are currently marked as unassined by
IANA in above list:

29170-29998
41798-42507
43442-44122
46337-46997
35358-36000
39064-39680
36866-37471
41231-41793
26490-26999

Note that on Linux you need to stay below port 32768 to stay in the user
range.

claudio

On 15.12.22 00:19, Joerg wrote:

> There are three types of port numbers
> - system ports: 0..1023
> - user ports: 1024..49151
> - private ports: 49152..65535
>
> On most systems:
> - system ports (well known ports) normally need admin rights and
> should not be used for own applications.
> - user ports can be used for own applications but can be registered
> with IANA to avoid conflicts with other applications
> - private (aka dynamic, aka ephemeral) ports are not registered.
>
> br
> Jörg
>
>> Am 14.12.2022 um 23:56 schrieb Aubrey McIntosh
>> <aubrey.mcintosh at utexas.edu>:
>>

>> Although 1934 might be more auspicious.
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 4:52 PM Aubrey McIntosh
>> <aubrey.mcintosh at utexas.edu> wrote:
>>
>>     What is a good port number to use with the Component Pascal
>>     CommServer program?
>>
>>     The default port, 900, as distributed appears to be unavailable
>>     to an ordinary user in Ubuntu.  It is possible to run the server
>>     as a privileged user and use port 900.
>>
>>     I have temporarily chosen 1951 for testing my own project, and to
>>     run it as an ordinary user.
>>
>>     --
>>     Aubrey McIntosh, PhD
>>

>> --
>> Aubrey McIntosh, PhD
>>
>> --

Claudio Nieder, Ruhestrasse 7, 8045 Zürich, 079 357 67 43