[Oberon] OberonErrors.Text.

thutt at harp-project.com thutt at harp-project.com
Mon Jan 9 23:44:17 CET 2023

Hans Klaver writes:
 > On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 9:18 AM <peter at easthope.ca> wrote:
 >
 > > In the tutorial for the compiler in ETH Oberon, Andre mentioned OberonErrors.Text.
 > > https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/ETH_Oberon/Tutorial/Compiler#Debugging_compiler_detected_syntax_errors
 > >
 > > The only list of errors I've found in ETHO 2.3.7 is in Oberon.Text.
 > > The best explanation I imagine is that OberonErrors.Text existed
 > > before the list was incorporated into Oberon.Text.
 > >
 > > Ideas?
 >
 > I guess that indeed OberonErrors.Text predates Oberon.Text.
 >
 > I have an old version of Oberon System (V 1.4 for PC/MS-DOS from
 > 1992) which has a file OberonErrors.Text. This file has 300
 > Compile-time Error Numbers and 30 Run-time Trap Numbers. Also the
 > Oberon Companion by André Fischer and Johannes L. Marais from 1997
 > mentions OberonErrors.Text (in section 2.5.1.1 on Compiler error
 > handling).
 >
 > I don't know when the name changed to Oberon.Text or otherwise.
 >
 > In the past the file OberonErrors.Text was more important for
 > programmers than now because the compiler only gave error numbers
 > and no worded description of the error (e.g. the 1992 compiler only
 > gave 'pos 39 err 40'), so you had to look up what error 40 meant
 > ;-(

There was a text editor extention (ErrorElems, maybe?) for ETH Oberon
that took the list of errors produced by the compiler and inserted a
clickable element in the error point in the source text position that
would expand, inline, to the text of the error.

--
Holding on to you like broken glass
Every touch cuts deeper than the last