[Oberon] Upper limit of FLOOR

Hans Klaver hklaver at dds.nl
Mon Jan 16 19:47:12 CET 2023

On 16 Jan. 2023, at 14:18 joerg.straube at iaeth.ch wrote:

> The limit of 2^24-1 makes somehow sense as you normally expect FLOOR(FLT(x)) = x

For reasons of symmetry and inverse operations this indeed makes sense.

> As the mantissa of a REAL is only 24 bits, all REALs larger than 2^24 are not exact:
> As r := 2000000000.0 and r := 2000000189.0 have the same binary representation, FLOOR would return to all REALs in between the same value.

You are right.
I did not realise that OBNC must make use of a 64-bit floating point type for REAL and a 32-bit type for INTEGER.

It certainly helps to have a list ready for all these limits you have to deal with.
For that I prepared Limits.Mod.

Thanks,

Hans