[Oberon] Sizes of compilers & etc.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 17:05:48 CET 2023

On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 at 16:14, <peter at easthope.ca> wrote:

> Ref.
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2023/03/15/msg002546.html
> "modern compilers are big."
>
> My thought was "Not all."
>
> "either try adding more swap, or ..."
>
> Or port an Oberon system to the bare machine?  Haven't replied; for
> now at least.  =8~/

Exactly so.

As I often say, I feel that it would be really good for Oberon, or A2,
or both, to have a native, bare-metal version for the Raspberry Pi. It
used to support Arm and StrongArm systems; the A2 web site used to be
hosted on A2 on a StrongArm machine.

The RasPi is not ideal, I know, because it has some many-megabyte
proprietary RTOS underneath. But I think there would be much
educational value in being able to show students a $5 to $10 computer
with a complete OS, with rudimentary Internet access (over Ethernet at
least), which was small enough for them to read and study in its
entirety.

(The RasPi Zero and Zero W are that cheap. I think the Pi Pico is too
small to run even Oberon. It has 264 kB of RAM and 2MB of Flash, which
is less than a Ceres workstation 30 years ago.)

A 1GB Pi 3 would be a capable computer with A2.

There are no other small FOSS OSes that are _that_ small and simple.

(Plan 9 works but it is pretty weird and arcane. Inferno even more so.
Haiku and AROS don't run on the bare metal of the Pi, and they're
*much* bigger and more complicated.)

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
IoM: (+44) 7624 277612: UK: (+44) 7939-087884
Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053