[Oberon] Re (3): Solved: Authentication for NNTP.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Tue Jun 13 05:49:39 CEST 2023

From:	Joerg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Mon, 12 Jun 2023 06:39:02 +0200
> As the server replied with 481, I assume the credentials you
> provided were not correct.

Yes.  Credentials incorrect in a small detail.  =8~/

From:	peter at easthope.ca
Date:	11 Jun 2023 19:29:33 -0700
> SND: AUTHINFO USER  PeterE
> RCV: 381 Enter password
> SND: AUTHINFO PASS  <password>

I noticed two blanks between USER and PeterE.  Also remembered that an
interactive test is easily started with telnet.  Therefore,

$ telnet localhost  119
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 news.eternal-september.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.8.0 (20230610 snapshot) ready (posting ok)
CAPABILITIES
101 Capability list:
AUTHINFO USER PeterE
381 Enter password
AUTHINFO PASS <password>
281 Authentication succeeded

Referring to my additional lines in Oberon.News.Mod,
SendCmd(S, "AUTHINFO USER ", user);
SendCmd(S, "AUTHINFO PASS ", passwd);

The blank I put after PASS and a blank SendCmd adds as separator. Two
blanks.  So eternal-september interprets the password as " <password>"
rather than "<password>" and authentication fails.

With assistance of the TLS tunnel, Oberon News still works! With a few
source revisions and a tunnel accessed locally, it would work in ETH
Oberon on a 486 machine.  Marvellous really.  =8~)

Thanks for the help,              ... P.L.

-
mobile: +1 778 951 5147
VoIP:   +1 604 670 0140