[Oberon] Re (2): Export of Oberon Mail.SendCmd().

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Thu Jun 15 14:40:38 CEST 2023

From:	Joerg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Thu, 15 Jun 2023 08:56:14 +0300
> Generally, re-using code instead of copying is a good approach.
> If you do so, then the whole code of Mail is imported in News.

Currently working in the Oberon subsystem of A2 where News imports
Mail. I don't have an ETH Oberon system at hand but will speculate
that Mail was written before News and that News imported Mail from
the beginning or early in development.

> What about this: try to separate all common code in an own module (e.g
> call it Communication.Mod or MsgBase.Mod or Utilities.Mod or so) and
> import this new module in Mail and in News.

Good.  Keeping in mind for possible future work.  For now I'm happy to
have succeeded to add authentication to SMTP and NNTP.  For me, Oberon
Mail and News are good alternatives to mutt, Thunderbird, pan & etc.
in Linux. I also want to make the current revisions available in A2.
What's useful to me may benefit others.

Thanks for the help,                ... P.

Footnote
Still need to understand Streams well enough to automate base64
encoding for submission of the user and password for SMTP.

-
mobile: +1 778 951 5147
VoIP:   +1 604 670 0140