[Oberon] Re (2): Names in Unix.Oberon.NetSystem.Mod

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Mon Aug 28 16:52:52 CEST 2023

From:	Joerg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Sat, 26 Aug 2023 18:46:04 +0200
> Principally, as neither Password nor PasswordDesc is exported, it‘s
> a pure implementation decision how you want to call this
> module-internal type.

Acknowledged.

I don't claim to be a professional programmer but things I write tend
to be understandable, to me at least, within a year of writing.  As
years pass, understanding the reasoning behind code withers.  =8~/

For code written by another, I don't have the original reasoning
except where it was documented. The "understanding problem" is
magnified.  The difficulty is mitigated by correct use of natural
language.

The situation is illustrated by the parallel discussion of the CASE
statement. The expert can assert, "I named the variable 'mammal'
because it refers to a mammal." For the compiler, the variable might
equally well be "whale" or "mammal" or "animal". For the human reader,
the choice can be significant but subtle.

> Personally, I would only call the set („user“, „password“) „
> Credential“. As you store the host and the service as well, I
> would call the bundle of these 4 strings „ServiceLogin“ or „
> ServiceAccess“ or something along these lines.

Thanks.  English has no specific name for the four-tuple. I can
imagine "authenticationFourTuple" but you might find that laughable.
With contemporary hardware, the length of the name is probably
not objectionable.

> But feel free to call it „Credential“, if you like.

I'll refrain.  You caught a semantic error.

Not sure about "authenticationFourTuple".

Thanks for the helpful reply,                  ... P.L.

-
mobile: +1 778 951 5147
VoIP:   +1 604 670 0140