[Oberon] *****SPAM***** Re: Oberon-2 type bound procedure scope

August Karlstrom fusionfile at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 17:12:41 CET 2023

On 2023-12-10 15:29, strohm at airmail.net wrote:
> In the example at hand, as I read "In addition to its formal
> parameters and locally declared objects, the objects declared
> globally are also visible in the procedure." on page 12 of the
> Oberon-07 report at Microsoft Word - Oberon07.Report.doc (ethz.ch)
> <https://people.inf.ethz.ch/wirth/Oberon/Oberon07.Report.pdf>, items
>  declared at module M scope are visible inside Q, as are items
> declared at procedure M.P scope.

The quoted sentence says exactly that only strictly local and global
objects (constants, types, variables and procedures) are visible in a
given procedure, so items declared in the scope M.P are not visible in
the scope M.P.Q. The document "Oberon at a Glance" says "No access to
variables in outer procedures" but that's just a reflection of the
Project Oberon 2013 compiler enforcing this only for variables.

https://people.inf.ethz.ch/wirth/Oberon/OberonAtAGlance.pdf

August