[Oberon] Re (3): HotKeys and SystemTools.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sun Dec 10 22:37:29 CET 2023

Joerg & all,

Four flavours of A2 tried here.  All on Debian Linux on a Lenovo
ThinkCentre.

(1) Debian 11.  LinuxA2 Gen. 64, rev.9799 released by Guenter. The
Oberon subsystem works.  No problem with the keyboard.  According to
the host console, HotKeys.Open executed and HotKeys.XML loaded.  =8~)

(2) Debian 12. LinuxA2 Gen. 64, rev.9799 released by Guenter. The A2
display is empty as described here.
https://gitlab.inf.ethz.ch/felixf/oberon/-/issues/125 Something new in
Linux?

(3) Debian 12.  LinuxA2 (64-bit, rev.10272) released by Guenter.  No
obvious problems in A2. With HotKeys disabled or not, F1, F2 and
Delete do not work in the Oberon subsystem.

(4) Debian 12. "LinuxA2 Gen. 64-bit, Apr 19 2023" started from the git
repository.  No obvious problems in A2. With HotKeys disabled or not,
F1, F2 and Delete do not work in the Oberon subsystem.

joerg.straube at iaeth.ch, Mon Dec 4 03:34:14 CET 2023
> Somebody must have edited Hotkeys.XML as the original that comes
> with the A2 distribution assigns F12 to System.Free Hotkeys not
> SystemTools.Free

Thanks.  Yes, the system has System.Free.  Not SystemTools.Free.
SystemTools is a distraction.  =8~\

We might expect commenting out the HotKeys.Open command in the
Autostart section of Configuration.XML to prevent interference with
the Oberon keyboard.  Doesn't.  Appears that the problem is more
fundamental.  In the newer A2 systems, support for the Oberon keyboard
is broken, independent of HotKeys.

I don't know how the keyboard of the subsystem connects to the host
A2.  Therefore reluctant to start on a new study before another
release is available.

Thanks,                                ... P.L.

--
VoIP:   +1 604 670 0140
work: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:PeterEasthope