[Oberon] [EXT] "Make Project Oberon Pretty Again"

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Jan 10 07:43:01 CET 2024

Liam:

the new edition of the book would be a noble enterprise and a living monument for NW.

My own dream is that not only the text becomes pretty, but also the HDL. Ideally, this book (I mean 2013 edition) could become a teaching aid in HDL programming. The present HDL in the book is more like snippets rather than a complete literate logic code. Yes, I know that NW preferred LOLA over Verilog. He complained about Verilog. But at the end he used it. I think that LOLA sources can be preserved and exposed in the book, but the real design is Verilog. This can receive a facelift, be converted to SystemVerilog, and also to VHDL. Code of that size will not be too difficult to transform.

There were also discussions of some flaws in the floating point implementation. I do not know if these were fixed or not. It would be good if they were. I am also not sure if any official repository is going to exist and be actively maintained to accommodate such changes.

There is also a question of future direction. The original source was developed for Spartan-3 and ASRAM. This platform is now hard to get. (I recently bought the Spartan-3 Starter Kit with 1M FPGA on Ebay, but this is not a reliable source.) The HDL has been ported to Spartan-6 and Artix-7, but the ASRAM memory is not available for these platforms. In order for this workstation to stay viable it will need dynamic RAM support, though I personally prefer ZBT. To this end I can release my own board designs. One is Spartan-6 and the other is Artix-7, both featuring 4 MB of ZBT. I was trying to enlist someone to develop the ZBT controller and I ran into a solid wall of incompetence, while I do not have time to complete it myself.

The as-simple-as-possible board will feature not the DDR-x but rather HyperRAM (a.k.a. Octal SPI RAM though there are some minor differences between the Hyper and Octal). This is 16 MB in a small chip. There is no need for the SDRAM controller. One of my boards has both ZBT (4 MB) and HyperRAM (16 MB). It can be used as a development platform for both. I can release it to the community.

There are commercial boards of course. These could be handled if there are custodians willing to support their favorite boards.

If we could realize even a small part of this dream then it would become a proper kind of a monument.

Please send me an e-mail if you are interested in going in this direction.

Thank you,
Wojtek