[Oberon] [EXT] Re: Fighting a dragon ...

Hans Klaver hklaver at dds.nl
Wed Jul 17 23:36:25 CEST 2024

Hi Jörg,

I would favour the "dynamic HW" approach of implementing limits (as far as possible), and where not possible the "more dynamic approach" using exported (read-only) variables.

>  MAXFLT := S.GET(-4); MAXFLOOR := S.GET(-4)

Surely you meant to write:

  S.GET(-4, MAXFLT); S.GET(-4, MAXFLOOR)

And I would prefer maxFLT and maxFLOOR in stead of MAXFLT and MAXFLOOR, for two reasons:

1. It is a long standing tradition in Oberon to reserve all capitals for keywords and predeclared identifiers (with the exception of unexported constants or variables of one or a few letters).

2. I find FP.maxFLT and FP.maxFLOOR slightly better readable than FP.MAXFLT and FP.MAXFLOOR.

The same goes for maxINT, maxREAL, maxSET and others.

Regards,

Hans