[SCION] Intermittent ICMP/SCMP message failures

Matthew McCormack mmccorm1 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 10 22:14:51 CET 2019

Hello,

I created an AS (attached to the 19-ffaa:0:1303 (Magdeburg AP) using the
debian packages on a baremetal hosting service (cloudlab.us) where I am
running Ubuntu 16.04 (and using openVPN for the overlay link). When I check
the health of this AS using the webapp, I receive intermittent failures for
ICMP/SCMP.  These results are similarly repeated when I repeat the tests on
the command line (where attempting to ping a border router, e.g. 10.0.8.1,
I might experience 100 dropped packets, or return an RTT of ~120 mseconds
for each packet). The SCMP messages upon failure return: "ERROR: SCMP
validation" and succeeds after 65 echo attempts. However, this returns to a
failed state after a short time period (~10 seconds of inactivity). Do you
have any insights as to why I am experiencing this intermittent failure?

I'm happy to provide any additional descriptions of the setup that
might help in debugging (e.g., log data, other configurations, etc).

Very Respectfully,
Matt McCormack