[Scion] Unable to Connect to SCION Lab

Juan A. García-Pardo juagargi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 18:20:34 CEST 2019

Hi Andrew,
Let me quickly answer your questions inline:

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 1:08 PM Andrew Stock <andrewstockvm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Windows 10 machine and following tutorial to setup VM to connect
> to SCION.
>
> Since, I don't have a static public IP address and cannot receive traffic
> on UDP port 50000 from the outside network. I choose OPENVPN connection for
> my config files from SCION Coordination Service.
>
> Everything went fine and I was able to install SCION on my VM with vagrant
> up & ssh command.
>
> However, when running SCION-Viz many tests were failed. For this reason, I
> though to run topology and start SCION with run command. It did not report
> any errors. However, still the test results in SCION-Viz were failed.
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1) How do I connect to OPENVPN? I tried installing OPENVPN for Windows but
> it didn't recognize files. Also, the commands for connecting to SCION Lab
> are only for Ubuntu machines. Does it mean that I can't connect to SCION
> Lab if my underlying OS is Windows ?

You don't need to install openvpn. The VPN tunnel will happen from your
SCIONLab virtual machine to the attachment point. Your VM will run openvpn
and connect your VM (and your AS) to the attachment point automatically.
Please check
https://netsec-ethz.github.io/scion-tutorials/general_scion_configuration/troubleshooting/
if
you have problems; come back to us if you can't solve them though.

2) Can I run local topology and somehow connect to SCION Lab without going
> through OPEN VPN ?

The local topology is mainly used to test things. It cannot connect your
host(s) in your AS(es) to SCIONLab.

> Thanks,

I hope to have clarified a bit your doubts.
Best regards,

Juan A.