[SCION] Carbon aware SCION networking

Chris Adams chris at thegreenwebfoundation.org
Wed Mar 24 16:15:52 CET 2021

Hi Seyadali

I’ve found the paper listed below by Jens Malmodin, at Ericsson useful - it uses actual recorded data from tens of existing network providers as a basis for talking about a model to measuring the environmental impact of data transmission, and also explains the shortcomings of a number of existing approaches:

The power consumption of mobile and fixed network data services - The case of streaming video and downloading large files - Jens Maldmodin

It was shared at the conference below - I’d link to it, but I don’t think it’s publicly available, so I’ve sent a copy to you directly to read.

https://online.electronicsgoesgreen.org/ <https://online.electronicsgoesgreen.org/>

I’d also point you to this recent study:

Montevecchi, F., Hinterholzer, S., Stickler, T. & Hintemann, R. (2020) Energy-efficient cloud computing technologies and policies for an eco-friendly cloud market: final study report. Available from: https://dx.doi.org/10.2759/3320 <https://dx.doi.org/10.2759/3320>

A brief summary of the key points is on David Myttons’ blog:

https://davidmytton.blog/paper-notes-energy-efficient-cloud-computing-technologies-and-policies-for-an-eco-friendly-cloud-market/ <https://davidmytton.blog/paper-notes-energy-efficient-cloud-computing-technologies-and-policies-for-an-eco-friendly-cloud-market/>

Hope that helps,

Chris