[Oberon] Re. HyperDocs.Tool

shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Wed Mar 24 21:20:47 CET 2004

Chris,

cg> HTMLImages.ImgIcon ...
cg> Have you got an 'image' at the end of you web-page ?

Yes, validhtml401.gif which advertises
HTML validity.  My first guess at
an explanation for the trap is that PC
Native 11.10.2001 preceeded gif support.
Try PC Native 05.01.2003.

cg> Like I'm the only person in the world
still using 486 machines !

A 486 made the page at
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/.

Finding the source of my trap from
http://www.debian.org/ is a good exercise.
First, note that http://validator.w3.org/
reports that the page is valid HTML 4.01
Transitional.  Save the
html text to a file.  Near the end of
the text is a series of language specific
references following "This page is also
available in the following languages:".
Remove all the language reference lines
except one.  With some lines the page opens
without a trap.  The Norwegian line for
example.  Other lines raise a trap.
Eg. the Japanese line.  Seems that
Desktops.OpenDoc can not cope with a few
of the characters invoked.  This suggests
again that Desktops.OpenDoc needs a
little work on html character references.
Just in case anyone is bored ...

cg> As one who grew up with 8 bit CPUs, I still find it unacceptable to
see CPU's with 'air-conditioners strapped to their back !'.

Here, here;  but the Crays used to have
fancy heat transfer machinery.

Regards,        Peter

       http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/