[Oberon] Oberon database application framework

Dan Parnete dan.parnete at fastwebnet.it
Thu Aug 19 23:17:39 CEST 2004

John Drake wrote:

>--- Dan Parnete <dan.parnete at fastwebnet.it> wrote:
>

>><>Hello,
>>
>>I have built an Oberon database application
>>framework based on
>>Objects.Library, including a small integrated
>>database engine. If
>>anybody interested, please tell my where to post it.
>>

>Cool!  I was working on something similair a while
>back.  A good place to post this would be the ETH
>WebDAV.
>
>(http://webdav.ethz.ch)
>
>You'll need to get writing priviledges from Edgar.
>Alternately if you email it to me I'll post it
>there for you.  Or you could post source or an
>ASCII coded version here or at the Wiki.
>

>>It is functional in local, and now I'm working for
>>extend it to the
>>network (it works, bat needs more testing), to
>>create a client/server
>>framework. Then, I will extend it to ODBC databases.
>>In the future I
>>will rewrite it for Aos. It should be an XML db with
>>standard XQuery API
>>and Aos GUI (when more controls will be available).
>>Unfortunately, I have no documentation for it. But
>>if anybody
>>interested, I promise to write some.
>>

>Take a look at the prevalence system in Aos.
>(PrevalenceSystem.Mod)  It's an XML based "Persistent
>Object System".  But (unfortnately) it also doesn't
>have any documentation at this time.
>

>><>
>>The database have nothing to do with any standard. I
>>call it "database"
>>just for give an idea of what we talking about, but
>>it's a simple
>>collection of objects, more precisely private
>>libraries of Model objects
>>stored in a .db file. Indexing is provided
>>automatically, the first time
>>a field is used in a query condition. It's a multi
>>database engine. The
>>query language is very rude an conforms only with my
>>needs. Here are
>>some simple examples:
>>
>>DpsDb.Cmd Query Database Collection GD "PKEY>0" ~
>>    dumps (Get Dump command) all records, all fields
>>of database
>>Database, collection Collection on System.Log <>
>>
>>DpsDb.Cmd Query Database Collection G "PKEY>0"
>>"field1,field2" ~
>>    get all records (Get command), only field1,
>>field2 in PackFile file
>>which transports data between db an the client
>>application.
>>

>A persistant object store with a query language.
>That's a database in my book.
>

>>I can provide more complex examples on a complete
>>sample application.
>>
>><>The application framework is base on Gadgets and
>>implements:
>>- Window: panel with one or more datasources and
>>datawindows
>>- DataSource: tree structure of data arrived from
>>the database,
>>organised in a logic dependency (master/detail); it
>>has a datawindow and
> [...]
I have written all the day a dam UserGuide document. Four pages, and it
takes me all the day. I'm not done for writing documentation. And
probably I mess a lot of important details. I hope it will be useful. I
have tried to access the WebDav but probably I need a client I don't
have. So I posted the  DpsAF_190804.zip file on an ftp site:

    ftp://82.186.239.82
    User: dan
    Password: parnete

You need Internet Explorer to have the login window opened.

Dan Parnete